At Shanthala MD sclerotherapy, or ‘injection therapy’, is the most common treatment for spider and varicose veins on the legs. During treatment, a mild chemical solution is injected into the incompetent vein or capillary. The sclerosing agent irritates the walls of the vessel, causing it to collapse. The body then reabsorbs the vein and blood is re-routed to a healthy vein, restoring proper venous circulation in the area.
- For a single painless sclerotherapy treatment, be prepared to block out 30 minutes of your schedule for your consultation and first appointment.
- Patients can resume their regular daily activity immediately following treatment.
- No downtime or stockings are needed, and patients can continue exercise the next day.
- Before you undergo the procedure, it’s important to consider that there will be minimal to moderate bruising following treatment, which lasts 2-4 weeks.
- We advise patients to avoid sun exposure by wearing long pants/skirts, or at least wearing SPF 30 or higher. Bruises can be easily covered with makeup if desired.
- Aspirin and other blood thinners may make you more prone to bruising following treatment so avoid taking such medications a week to two weeks prior to your appointment.
- Hormone supplements may prolong the healing process.